What is the processing time after the I-130 approval?

• Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

You are here

What is the processing time after the I-130 approval?
LawQA.com's picture

My daughters (US citizen) petition I-130 for her husband was approved 13 days after it was received. Is this typical? They are now in the Post decision activity status. All paperwork has been sent to the NVC. If I'm understanding correctly, they skipped over 5 of the initial steps to get to the post decision status. Is this correct and a positive thing? Also, how long now? Approximately? They started process in Sept. 2011. My daughter is living in Mexico with her Mexican husband, who has NO criminal record and my daughter is also a Mexican Resident and is working there, with a Mexican work visa. Also, it's my understanding that they do NOT have to wait for a "number" to proceed?

Share/Save

Submitted by Alexander J. Segal on December 14, 2012 - 12:35pm

Alexander J. Segal's picture

You have asked a lot of questions and I will try to address them all. USCIS can process an I-130 in a few days or many days, it really depends upon how prepared the case is when filed. Delays in processing usually occur when insufficient evidence is submitted or other issues are present. Those steps that are shown online are to show where a case is at. They are general and not always applicable to every case. The I-130 is approved. The fact that it was approved quickly only means the necessary evidence was there, it has no bearing on the final resolution of the case.

Once the case is transferred to the NVC, it takes about 6-8 months to complete. Assuming your daughter is a U.S. citizen, they do not need to wait for a visa to be available as one is immediately available to her spouse. This depends upon what documents are requested and how long it takes to respond to these request. Once the NVC case is complete, the file is sent to the local U.S. Embassy/Consulate for an interview. The U.S. Embassy/Consulate makes the final decision on whether to issue the immigrant visa.

Submitted by Razma on February 11, 2013 - 3:27pm

Hi my name is razma and im canadian citizen and my husband is usa citizen how long i should wait after i get my 130 form approvel. And we have a child to so in that case. My paper work going to be faster or same as otheres

Submitted by Wendy Barlow on February 11, 2013 - 3:51pm

Wendy Barlow's picture

Your application will be not be processed any faster than any other spouse of a United States citizen. They are processed in the order received. As for how much longer you should wait, I am not clear what you mean.

Submitted by i am citizen th... on March 9, 2014 - 6:03pm

i am citizen then i do petition my daugther over 21 years old !! then the status right now is post decisionn.. what are we goin to do ??are we goin to wait ?? or we gonna follow up it ..

Submitted by Wendy Barlow on March 10, 2014 - 11:41am

Wendy Barlow's picture

I assume the petition was approved. If so, the immigrant visa petition has been/will be transferred to the National Visa Center. Your daughter will need to wait for an immigrant visa to become available. It will likely be several more years before she will be able to immigrate. She will be notified when a visa is available. It is very important to notify the Natioanl Visa Center of any changes in contact information.

Submitted by Niki on April 1, 2013 - 10:21am

Hello. My mother a US citizen filed for my sister and i, canadian citizens. We are unmarried over 21. Do you have any idea approximately how long this will take?

Submitted by Wendy Barlow on April 1, 2013 - 10:54am

Wendy Barlow's picture

The process will take approximately seven years due to visa availability.

Submitted by Wanda on April 1, 2013 - 4:04pm

7 years? Even when the petitioner is a us citizen?

Submitted by Wendy Barlow on April 2, 2013 - 9:36am

Wendy Barlow's picture

Yes. An adult unmarried son or daughter is a preference petition, which means the person must wait for an immigrant visa to become available. Please keep in mind this is merely an estimate based upon the visa bulletin. There is no way to know exactly how long the process will take.

Submitted by musa on April 7, 2013 - 1:48am

i sent my i 130 on march 31 2013 still i didnt receive anything from the uscis what do i need to do? what step should i take?

Pages

Anywhere in the world

Call us

JUST CLICK AND WAIT TO BE
CONNECTED FOR FREE